Taking a little time for prevention during the holiday season can help keep our pets safe. Here are a few safety reminders to help prevent the unwanted emergency trip to the vet:
- Electrical cords and light strings can be appealing to our pets. Keep them secured and out of reach to avoid potentially lethal electrical shock, or burns to the mouth if chewed on.
- Anchor your Christmas tree to keep it from falling over, and if possible, put a barrier around the tree water to keep pets from drinking it. Tree water can contain fertilizers, or can become stagnant and grow bacteria, which could cause diarrhea or vomiting.
- Popular holiday plants such as holly, mistletoe and lilies can cause a variety of gastrointestinal, kidney and cardiovascular problems. Consider using silk or artificial flowers. To view the ASPCA’s comprehensive list of toxic and non-toxic plants, click here >
- Try to keep your pet’s diet as close to normal as possible. Do not feed your pet any rich, spicy or fatty foods. Make sure guests know not to sneak treats to your pet. Keep alcoholic drinks and desserts out of pet’s reach.
- If you have cats, consider having a tinsel free holiday. Tinsel is very attractive to cats and can cause vomiting, dehydration and even intestinal blockage if swallowed.
The best way to indulge your pet this holiday?
Give safe toys and healthy treats specifically made for animals. Enjoy an extra walk or play session, along with plenty of TLC!